UPDATED for 2017: In this guide, we cover the best oil drain pans to buy when doing DIY oil changes. Any product or tool works well and effectively as you buy it brand new. This goes the same way with your car. Let’s face it; the car tends to deteriorate as you use it, which is why maintenance is imperative to keep it last for years.
You think this is just it? You might just have taken things lightly here. Regular maintenance of your vehicle is a must to keep its dependable and optimal condition. One major requirement for its regular maintenance is an oil change. Changing oil can get messy if you are not using the right equipment though it’s an easy task.
Oil drain pan is that one significant accessory needed for a manageable oil change of your car for proper maintenance. The significance of the drain pan then seems overlooked until the oil needs to be changed. It easily captures all the oil and places it properly to a designated area. Allowing the oil to freely flow to the pan’s surface makes the operation very smooth and clean. This will keep everything at best without permanent stains, which will only leave unattractive marks to your vehicle.
What’s next? The oil drain pan is the best for your car cleanup. Well, there are now a lot of these tool manufactured by different companies. Proper choice is just the best that you can do here. What product is the best for you and how you will know that it’s the right one? All these questions will be answered by this guide then.
Table of Contents
- Best Oil Drain Pans When Doing Oil Changes (Top 5)
- Oil Drain Pan Reviews (Top 7)
- Tips for Buying the Best Oil Drain Pans
- EXTRA: How To Properly Store Old Oil
Best Oil Drain Pans When Doing Oil Changes (Top 5)
|Fuel Injector Cleaners Name:||Price:||Size:|
| || || |
| || || |
| || || |
| || || |
| || || |
Oil drain pans are designed with the same purpose, but not in some of their specifications. You can find them in different costs, sizes, and functionalities. Don’t make things complicated. Just go over the details of each of the pans listed below and be guided accordingly.
Reviews from their users are also provided to help you make the right and viable decision. Whatever will be your choice; this oil drain pan reviews guide only aims to assist you in your search for the best tool that meets your requirements.
Oil Drain Pan Reviews (Top 7)
ATD Tools 5184 – Best Oil Drain Pan (Editors Choice)
ATD Tools 5184 Black Drain Pan measures 6” deep and 15.25” in diameter and has a capacity of 4-1/2 gallons. The pan has a huge spout specifically designed for easy pouring. Its molded handle guarantees ease in carrying, pouring, and storing.
It has an anti-splash lip that contains fluid to prevent any spill or mess when you pour oil. Many of those who have already used the product are satisfied with the large oil drain pan spout for making everything in the oil change process clean and successful.
- Ease of use without complication
- Very effective for your DIY yard power tool oil change
- Efficient in working with the oil change
- Very sturdy in holding more than 6 quarts
- Some suggests that it should be shipped in a box or any container
Lumax LX-1632 15-Quart Plastic Oil Drain Pan
USA-made Lumax LX-1632 Black 15-Quart Drainmaster Drain Pan & Waste Oil Storage is heavy-duty with its ability to hold as much as 15-quarts oil, gasoline, anti-freeze substance, or other fluids. The drain pan measures 19 x 16 x 5 inches in dimensions and 2.6 pounds in weight. This tool can be an alternative storage tool for gas and oil using its screw cap. Its O-ring makes it very appropriate for both oil change and storage.
Say goodbye to annoying spills and splashes as this tool has a wide opening measuring 8 inches as well as its catch-all basket. The low-profile oil drain pan is very workable for low profile cars. Thanks to its heavy-duty design, it can now easily manage and carry through the E-Z roll wheels.
- Prevents splashes and spills with its wide opening
- It is lightweight
- Impervious to gasoline, anti-freeze, oil, etc.
- Does not require cleanup
- Can be used as a storage tool
- Ease in handling and carrying
- It can leak
- Made of materials that are poor in quality
Capri Tools CP21023 Portable Oil Drain Pan
Green-colored Capri Tools CP21023 Portable Oil Drain Pan is designed with 23 x 19 x 6 inches in dimensions and 2 pounds in weight. The product is designed for easy liquid transfers. This lightweight product does not bend and flex mainly because of its sturdy plastic material. This plastic oil drain pan is spacious that catches oil without even splashing. Its spout allows you to store oil on containers efficiently.
Most chemicals can be handled properly with the polyethylene material of the plastic oil drain pan. It can easily handle oil changes since it has 4.5 gallons in capacity leaving considerable room in carrying the pan with no messy experience. Spills can also be avoided with its lip around the rim.
- Easy to carry and clean portable drain pan
- Has lasting durability with its tough polyethylene material
- Made up of thick and sturdy plastic
- Huge capacity in handling any oil or transmission oil change
- Smooth finish making cleanup very easy
- Ideal for shop or home
- Pouring fluid can be pointed at an awkward angle because of its angled spout
- Does not have a spout cap
Lisle 17942 Black Plastic Drain Pan
With its ergonomic design, Lisle 17942 Black Plastic Drain Pan comes with a back handle and two front handles. The drain pan is 18.5 x 22.8 x 6.6 inches in dimension and 9 pound, which makes it bulky and heavy. It has been reputable as one of the best in the industry. It can take 18 quarts of liquid and can easily be managed and carried unlike those pans in a flimsy model.
Its resistance to damaging chemicals and solvents is due to its high-density polyethylene material, making it very easy to clean. It has a very handy wide spout measuring 1” in diameter and an anti-splash lip that avoid any oil spill. Though it can be a great tool in an easy fluid transfer, it is not that effective for storage.
- Has huge capacity of 18 quarts
- Comes with large and easy-grip handles
- Easy to clean up
- Design is leak proof
- Resists chemicals and solvents
- Made of quality-wise polyethylene materials
- Has better handling due to its ergonomic design
- Not suitable for oil storage
- Spout lacks and cover or cap
- Can be bulky and heavy for some users
FloTool 42003MI Drain Container
Hopkins Manufacturing regards its 16-quart FloTool 42003MI Drain Container as a successful tool primarily because of its original, innovative and no-mess solutions that promise to turn its spout and funnel into highly-valued products. The drain container is just perfect for oil changes, vehicle fluid level monitoring, or antifreeze top-off. Its robust features are expected to change everything about the common mess in oil change.
It can be stored either in a flat or upright position without any leak. It comes with an integrated handle and grip for ease of handling and carrying. Its extended design allows you to catch the whole stream of mess elimination. Proper disposal is secured with its leak-proof feature. It is also specially designed for its high capacity enabling you to cater large equipment ad and oil changes.
- Have elongated basins
- It is 16-quart in capacity
- Easy to clean
- Has a leak-proof design
- Endures several oil changes
- Guarantees ease in handling and carrying
- Made of materials with low quality
- Its drain might be very small
NOTE: On a side note, draining your oil and doing a deep analysis of whats inside will tell you exactly how healthy your engine is. Have a read of fuel injector cleaner reviews, as these additives help to clean out any carbon deposits. Just like injector cleaners, octane boosters help to increase fuel burning efficiency.
Now if you want a smooth running engine, with each cylinder having proper compression, other than fresh antifreeze, have a read at some spark plug reviews. A good pair will noticeably improve your fuel economy.
Capri Tools Black CP21024 Portable Oil Drain Pan
If budget is a big matter for you when choosing drain pan, Capri Tools Black CP21024 is just perfect for you. The product weighs 1.9 pounds and has dimensions of 23 x 19 x 6 inches. It is lightweight, portable and small enough indicating that oil storage is not a necessity before its disposal. The small oil drain pan is open and allows you to hold as much as 16 liters or 4.5 gallons of fluid.
It allows fluid to directly drain into the pan since it is completely an open pan. Its anti-splash lip helps prevent liquid spills when the oil is being poured. Its handle is made of high quality, tough polyethylene material that makes it very durable. This pan is also beneficial in lowest profile situations with its 6-inch low profile oil drain pan design.
- It is very durable
- Has a reasonable price
- It’s easy to carry and handle
- Has an anti-splash and anti-spill lip
- Can be carried anytime, anywhere since it is lightweight
- None so far
GarageBOSS 7-Quart Oil Drain Pan
Specifications of GarageBOSS 7-Quart Oil Drain Pan include 16.5 x 4.2 x 10.2 inches in dimensions and 1.8 pounds in weight. This drain pan serves as the initial ground of responsible old oil disposal. The tool drains, transports, and recycles the old oil of your vehicle without hassle and mess. It is manufactured with wide and integrated mouth funnel that drains fluids cleaner and easier.
It enables you to directly drain fluids into the transporting container to transfer the used oil or anti-freeze efficiently without any mess. You just have to seal then transport the oil to the nearest retailer of center that offers oil recycling. Its shallow feature fits under the car and its built-in handle is built for ease in carrying. You can also lay it flat for transportation coupled with its durable construction for lasting use.
- It is beneficial for lowered vehicles because of their low profile
- Its integrated funnel spares you from buying any extra pan
- Totally sealed for transportation
- Reports on its poorly produced threads
- Some consumers find its design horrible
Tips for Buying the Best Oil Drain Pans
Considering the advantages being offered by oil drain pans, the monetary value you will be paying can be a great investment and something that you will never regret in the future. This only calls for your firm decision to pick the right, best oil drain pan. There is definitely no worse feeling than getting a good drain pan. How will you know that your choice is the best one? Be reminded of the following significant factors when you select the best drain pan.
- Consider the size of the oil drain pan before buying it upfront. Large or medium oil drain pan should be enough for holding the amount of anti-freeze and oil flowing from the engine of your vehicle. It is advisable that you choose one that is equitable with your car engine like the medium oil drain pan. Use the manufacturer’s manual to know the exact oil volume that your car is holding. It should accommodate the liquid it holds.
- Check the height of the tool if it can fit under your car. While low profile cars can benefit from this tool, some of them require a lower profile or flatter pan.
- Inspect the dimensions of pans, which depend largely on the type of vehicle you have. It would be a bonus for you if you will find a pan which is low and does not require you to jack up the car. This actually saves your time and makes the entire process safer. Peak under your vehicle so you can see how high it is off the ground, which is considered as the lowest point under your engine.
- Note that the large oil drain pan opening of the pan can create less mess when aiming for the oil flow into it. Look out for its other highlights like wheels that permit flexible movement. Also of great help are its caps, seals and handles; which are helpful during application. The leak-proof features of the product help prevent oil spills and leakages. They are also relevant because cleanup can be a daunting task.
- Read customer reviews since they come from the actual product buyers. These reviews provide detailed first-hand experience about the product. They are a great source of information as they speak out their honest opinions on the product you opted to purchase. They are also regarded to be a great helper for enlightenment on the efficiency of the pan.
- The sturdiness of the pan is another important factor to consider as it reflects its durability. This requires a long time.
- Oil drain pans differ from each other when it comes to their prices. Some of these oil drain pans have higher prices than the others. So carefully assess the prices of these tools in areas like their main features, benefits, and even their drawbacks. This will help you decide whether the amount you pay for the product is worth the pay.
- You can’t go wrong with the quality of the oil drain pans if you are in need of one that is of high capacity.
- Neglect products with low-quality materials which are not likely to endure harsh conditions. Select the ones made of high-quality construction and with high-density materials.
- Don’t take the customer ratings lightly as they are very relevant in comparing the brands.
- Be extra careful when evaluating the prices of drain pans. Be wary of the fact that not all the highly-priced products have the best quality.
Everything about oil drain pans along with the oil drain pan reviews is already discussed above and it is now up to you to select which among them can best work for your car engine. Be a keen observer when choosing the pan because picking the wrong one can wreak havoc on your garage’s floor with spills which may seep into the floor and form ugly stains. Remember all the factors mentioned when you visit an automotive shop to purchase the best oil drain pan.
References & Sources: