Back-to-Basic: A List of the Most Basic Tools for Every Home
We’ve already made a list of the most essential kitchen appliances to have when you’re moving in. But, another essential box to put together for your home is a tool box. In order for it to be effective, it should have the most important tools for whenever you need to immediately fix something at home.
Whether you love a good do-it-yourself project or just love being prepared for any house emergencies, this guide will serve as your ultimate list for the ultimate at-home tool box!
Twelve Most Essential Tools for Your Toolbox
If there is any tool that symbolizes trades related to handwork, it’s gotta be the hammer. A hammer is a kind of lever that is used to drive nails, take them out, or even break things.
A hammer is one of the most essential tools for your toolbox because it will help you complete tasks such as putting together a stool, hanging a picture frame, or taking apart a cabinet.
Do you have any persistent plumbing problem? If you do, you better get yourself a reliable adjustable wrench. STAT!
An adjustable wrench will save you a lot of money if you know how to tackle any plumbing problem. With the help of an adjustable wrench, you can easily fix these troublesome pipes without calling a professional.
With the help of screwdrivers you can easily remove and install screws from any kind of furniture or device in case it needs some fixing.
While there’s so many kinds of screwdrivers, there are two kinds that you should always have in your kit. You have to have the flat-head screwdriver and the Phillips (also known as the crisscross type). These two can drive the most common kinds of screws used in the United States which is why they are the most essential ones to have.
Since screws have different sizes, make sure that you have a screwdrivers that have points in different sizes. There are some models which require you to buy each size, but there are ones whose tips are interchangeable. You’ll just have to determine which is your preference. Buying one screwdriver per size will be easier as buying ones that have an interchangeable tip can be lost. Although they are definitely a great space-saver!
Lastly, buying screwdrivers with magnetized tips are also convenient as this can help you lift the screws from their slots.
A pair of pliers is a kind of lever that helps you grip objects and keep them in place.
According to the Garage Tool Advisor, there’s a total of 33 different pliers designed for specific uses. If you don’t plan on creating a whole garage for all the tools that exist in the world, here are the top 6 pliers you should have in your tool crate:
- Crimping Pliers – Is the pliers commonly used for joining wires together. It is mostly important when crimping “electrical beads” that cover any exposed wire thereby securing them.
- Long-nosed Pliers – Highly usable for bending, twisting, and cutting metal wires.
- Vise Grips – Excellent for holding things in place because of its ‘locking’ mechanism.
- Flat Nosed Pliers – Perfect for creating right angles in wires.
- Combination Pliers – Is a multi-functional pliers that has its end divided into three different sections. One section is for gripping flat surfaces, the next for round surfaces, with the last one (nearest to fulcrum) as the cutting mechanism.
- Tongue and Groove Pliers – Also known as the water pump pliers or adjustable pliers; often used for adjusting pipes.
A handsaw is a great tool to have especially when you live around woodsy area. This would come in handy if you don’t have a chainsaw and you’ll need to cut off some branches that’s interfering with your power lines.
A handsaw is a lightweight tool that could help you finish any kinds of DIY projects at home. Another instance where it could come in handy is when you’ll need to cut a part of the pipe to fit your needs.
Just make sure that you’re using the right saw for the right material.
A level is a tool that looks similar to ruler except that it has a tiny see through pipe where you can see water and a marked guide. The mark guide tells you whether you’ve put the object on a horizontal direction perfectly.
Ever thought about installing a shelf on the wall? This is the perfect tool to use for such a project!
A measuring tape is a very bendable ruler that can help you take distances, lengths, and even circumferences. With the help of this tool, you’ll know exactly where to put the next nail or getting the right measurement of the window for your next curtain.
How are you going to open up boxes and cut tapes without a utility knife? A utility knife that has a replaceable blade is ideal. You can easily get the sharpness of a new tool without having to buy a whole new utility knife.
Sometimes, the light won’t always reach the areas that you’re working on. For example, trying to see if you have any leaking pipes under the sink will be easier if you have a light source. A flashlight will help you do the trick.
A stud finder is a very good tool at helping you find areas where you can place your nail or your screw. If you have drywall all over the place, you’ll be thankful you’ve got a reliable tool such as a stud finder. This tool eliminates the risk of accidentally creating a hole on your drywall due to erroneous hammering.
Different kinds of tapes
The ultimate purpose of having a toolbox is so you can easily repair the broken areas at home. It might involve creating seals or sticking pieces back together. For these kinds of activities, you’ll need a bunch of tapes. Here are the most important kinds of tapes that your toolbox should have:
- Teflon tape – Teflon tape is also known as the plumber’s tape. This helps you create a seal in between pipes that has threads. Putting Teflon tape around these threads helps create a barrier thus preventing leakages.
- Electrical tape – Electrical tapes are used to cover open wires. They’re insulators that help prevent the sudden jump of electrical currents outside the wires.
- Duct tape – A duct tape is probably one of the strongest tape. You can use this to potentially bind together almost anything and to cover almost anything. This is definitely a must-have if you’re coming up with your ultimate toolbox. Legends even say that you can remove a wart with the help of a duct tape! If you ever try this, let us know if this works!
- Painter’s tape – Painter’s tape is another name for masking tape. Compared to a duct tape, a masking tape has a weaker stickiness to the surface. This makes it perfect for masking surfaces that you don’t want to be painted on. Aside from this, a roll of masking tape has a lot of practical uses around the house, such as labeling jars, bottles, and even cords.
- Aluminum tape – Aluminum tape is a handy fix to repairing any broken fiber glass. Ever had a fridge shelf break? Use an aluminum tape to bind the two loose pieces together.
Different kinds of other hardware
To complete your toolbox, you’ll need a handful of different sizes of these different hardware. Having these around will definitely make your house repairs so much easier. Lost one screw or a nail? Fret not, just check your box for one and your repair will be done!
- Hex screws
With the above tools, you’ll have a pretty reliable tool crate already! However, we think that you’ll still have room for some more non-tools essentials in your box! Here are other essentials that we think you should definitely put in your toolbox:
- Notepad and Pencil
- Rubber bands
- Toothbrush or any kind of brush
- Cable ties
Now, your tools are only as effective as you care for them. Keep in mind that you have to clean your tools every time you use them. Any kind of tool that has a moving part should be wiped and oiled to slow down any rusting.
If you have any power tools in your tool box, you must apply the same tip as well. On top of cleaning a power tool after use, you must store it properly. Remove any removable parts such as drill bits or batteries and store them where they should be stored.
We hope that you liked this post. Do you have any essential tool that you’re always carrying around your tool box? Do let us know in the comments and don’t forget to come back to our site for more of the top rated tips across the internet!