Best Motor Oil Reviews 2017 – Buyer’s Guide
Quick Navi -
UPDATED FOR 2017: As part of its regular maintenance for great performance, the motor oil of your car’s engine needs to be changed as well from time to time. This then calls for choosing the oil that works well with your engine, which could a daunting task.
Why? There are now a lot of manufacturers offering motor oils with their respective features or specifications and prices for older engines other than the new ones. If you are one of those car owners who is not used to selecting deals on motor oil, this can pose a great challenge for you.
The task can be quite tough considering the type of product your engine needs as the age of your car adds up. The gaps between engine parts seem to grow larger as your vehicle ages. In turn, this will cause less lubricant to reach the critical parts. It only indicates that you should choose the right product for your engine.
If you want to score an engine oil deal, you will only encounter mind-numbing choices in various grades from different manufacturers. Walking in stores without a background on what you are looking for can be difficult because you need to know which one is the best for your automobile. You might be confused which is better between synthetic and regular, what do the numbers in front of each bottle mean, and which is appropriate for your engine.
Well, this guide will break down the best engine oil reviews on the market to help you out in changing your lubricant.
Best Motor Oils To Buy (Top 5 Picks)
|Fuel Injector Cleaners Name:||Price:||Type:|
| || || |
| || || |
| || || |
| || || |
| || || |
NOTE: On a side note, what else does your engine need to pair with a good quality oil? A solid oil filter, we have a guide on the best-rated oil filters here. Also, nearly as important, are the spark plugs and fuel injector cleaners.
Picking the best motor oil for your car is or paramount importance, which is why it should be done with appropriateness and attention to details. The following seven best brands are the top-performers in the industry. Each of these leading oil brands was tested and experimented with different additives to make sure that their product protects your motor as long as possible.
Yes, there are stories and claims from brand-loyal automobile owners swearing to their choice and touting the best motor oil for high mileage engines they have covered without engine failure. So what sets these motor oils apart from each other? Continue reading to learn more.
Top 7 Motor Oil Reviews
1. Mobil 1 – Best Full Synthetic Motor Oil To Use (Editors Choice)
Synthetic oil Mobil 1 is developed for fuel economy improvement of cars where 5W-30 is recommended. This lubricant keeps your car engine running smoothly like it’s brand-new with its exceptional cleaning power, wear protection, and overall capability.
What makes it a great product is its capability in meeting ILSAC GF-5 standards of capability and its being dexos1 General Motors approval. The technology is equipped with several different vehicles such as selecting high-performance cars.
It’s been recommended to any modern cars like supercharged diesel and gasoline multi-valve fuel injected engines found in light trucks and vans, SUVs, and passenger cars. It also comes with an advanced fully synthetic formula preventing sludge and deposits build-up for long engine life.
- Aids the car’s fuel economy
- Outstanding work at maximum lubricant change interval recommendation
- Easy to use
- Excellent wear protection capability and overall lubrication for several driving styles
- Improvement for cold weather starting for quick protection
- Extends the shelf life of automobile motor
- Outstanding oxidation and thermal stability
- It can be costly, which is why it is advisable to buy it in local stores especially when you need more than one bottle.
2. Royal Purple HMX
Any special procedure is not a requirement for its upgrade. It is fully compatible with minerals or other kinds of synthetic oils. Its API licensed lubricant offers superior protection and helps improve the capability of diesel and gasoline engines. It also offers reasonable gains on trucks when switching over its gear oil, motor oil, and its transmission fluid.
- Capability upgrades on any classic vehicle
- Increase fuel efficiency
- Superior corrosion protection
- Improved compatibility
- Better pricey catalytic emission system protection
- Better wear protection
- Some users notice that their car to have picked up more torque approximately 50 miles of running with the new lubricant after the flushing sessions
3. Castrol GTX
The main highlight of the best synthetic motor oil Castrol 03083 EDGE 5W-20 is its strength for maximum capability. It’s quick in responding to the changing environments of engines like metal-to-metal contact points with their differing pressures, temperatures, and demands.
It only offers the highest protection level for the critical parts of your engine. Its proprietary and distinct formula lessens the car’s volatility and offers superior protection allowing the vehicle to efficiently run at power.
- Superior capability against wear, oxidation, and deposits
- Exceeds the ILSAC GF-5, ACEA A2, ACEA B1 and API standards
- Has better rating against power-robbing deposits
- More engine protection capability than the best synthetic motor oil on the market and the best conventional motor oil blend
- There are consumers who have difficulty in determining whether this product protects their engines well.
4. Pennzoil Platinum
Both automotive and mechanic experts consider Pennzoil 550040834-6PK Platinum Euro SAE 5W-40 for its unparalleled ability to offer critical lubrication to modern motors under demanding temperatures and operating conditions.
The lubricant only delivers outstanding lubricant endurance and stability with its synthesis and distillation technologies. Being the best synthetic engine oil on the market sets it apart from the other elements, which is expected to have maximum benefits for its purity.
It has incorporated PurePlus Technology to ensure its consistent viscosity at its low temperatures. This process converts uncontaminated natural gas and uses it in producing Pennzoil 550040834-6PK Platinum Euro SAE 5W-40. Because of this, the engine only requires less effort in pumping the product at temperatures.
- Guarantees better viscosity control under intense oxidative test conditions
- Faster low-temperature lubricant flow
- Provides protection against extreme heat
- Provides additional mileage of operation at 550 miles annually
- Has an amazing oxidation and thermal capacity
- Great option for cold-weather starting and ultra-fast protection
- Has incredible engine capability
- Some customers find it difficult to look for this product in the market
5. Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech
Looking for engine oil for all-season usage? Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 is just the best one for your diesel and gasoline engines with no diesel particulate filters. Innovative base oil combination guarantees fuel consumption reduction ensuring fast lubrication of the engine.
This lubricant is ideal for modern diesel and gasoline engines that come with a turbocharger, multi-valve technology, and with or without charge air cooling. It’s appropriate between heavy-duty engine requirements and changes. It has also received approvals from many automakers including MB-Approval 229.5, Renault RN 0700, VW 502 00/505 00, and BMW Longlife-01.
- Lessens pollutant emission while saving fuel
- Faster oil delivery at low temperatures and high lubrication at low and high temperatures
- Outstanding engine cleanliness as tested with catalytic converters, as well as its capability, proved using turbocharger
- Long service life of your engine caused by its high protection level wear
- Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 does not receive any negative feedback from customers yet.
6. Valvoline SynPower
The primary goal of Valvoline 5W-30 SynPower Fully Synthetic Motor Oil is to provide outstanding capability and protection against engine breakdown causes like wear, intense heat, and deposit buildup. Choose this oil if you are in search for one that is the best synthetic motor oil on the market compatibility.
It is noted to be the best synthetic engine oil on the market formulated with anti-wear chemical, which lasts longer compared to the other oils. The cold temperature capability of the engine is strengthened because of its improved start-up flow. Its protection against friction damage is great to the critical components of the engine. It is also excellent when it comes to engine cleanliness.
- Maintains fuel efficiency
- Outstanding high-temperature protection under superior cold-temperature protection and severe driving conditions through faster oil flow during start-up.
- Increases mileage on the odometer of the best motor oil for high mileage engines
- Prevents leaks and burning oil and never stops on cold starts during winter
- Lessens fuel consumption while improving fuel economy on its high-capability automotive motors
- Distinct combination of additives to the motor oil for high mileage trucks
- Careful synthesis of emollients and esters
- Some car owners may observe lubrication protection and reduced capability for failure of Valvoline 5W-30 SynPower Fully Synthetic removal and replacement.
7. Rotella T6
With its Triple Protection Plus technology, Rotella 550045347 T6 Synthetic Motor Oil has been strengthened with the best synthetic motor oil and advanced additive technology. Such boost aims protection of your engine from deposits, lubricant breakdown, and wear. The product guarantees better low-temperature flow and fuel economy capability of 1.5% without compromising the engine’s durability and protection.
Among its primary benefits are protected from too many operating temperatures and compatibility with the exhaust emissions control system. The combined additives and synthetic base oils offer protection against the harmful effects of dirt, soot, and any other contaminants.
- Controls poisoning or and blocking of exhaust after-treatment devices with its modern low-ash formulation
- Improves heat resistance for continuous protection
- Better fuel economy of motor oil for high mileage cars
- Improves deposit control
- Improves wear capability
- It seems that customers are satisfied with its capability giving them no problem upon usage
TIPS: For Buying the Best Motor Oil
With the dizzying number of options on the best engine oils for your automobile, selecting the right brand to use is definitely difficult. Allow us to help you decide which one to buy with the following factors:
- Have a better understanding of the numbers found in auto engines like 5w20, 5w30 and 5w40. You should know what these numbers meant. The numbers actually signify the thickness of oils during winter and summer. This is imperative as the best motor oils should be thin enough for the engine to start when oils are heavy. They should be thick for proper lubrication for hot weather after hours of running in a traffic jam.
- Learn about the meaning and value of letters found in containers.
- Know the type of lubricant your engine requires. Understand the three options of motor oils: conventional, synthetic, synthetic blend, and the best motor oil for high mileage engines. The best conventional oil has impurities and follows a refinement process. They are typically used in passenger vehicles and the cheapest affordable stuff found on the market. Synthetic oils go through chemically engineered processes for uniform molecules having fewer impurities. Synthetic blend oils are considered as a cornerstone if you are planning to switch to a full synthetic from conventional oils. The best motor oil for high mileage engines is developed for vehicles with over 75,000 miles on them. They have additives to lengthen the shelf life of engines.
- Pick the best type of oils for specific engines. This can easily be determined by the age of your auto ride, your driving style, and the climate conditions.
- Check the viscosity of your engine oil, which is its most relevant element. You should know the speed of engine flow. The viscosity should also be thick enough to lubricate and protect the engine other than thin enough to evenly spread over the surface.
- Consider fuel economy. Great motor oils reduce friction in your car’s internal pathways to boost fuel economy. Oils with great quality will result in major improvements in fuel economy.
- Check the lubrication and frictional properties of your preferred oils, which are expected to lubricate and lower the friction of the engine’s internal parts. Note the development of modern engine oils for lasting lubrication.
- Use of special additives. The oils blend with beneficial additives to counter sludge build-up, oil leaks, and deposits. More additives can improve the capability of the motor oils. There are now pressures on the industry as to the necessary mitigation of the oils’ sulfur content as well as in gasoline. This resistance from the industry is understandable with the delicate balancing act with each engine revolution.
- Check the low-temperature capability of motor oils. This will help you measure the ability of lubricant’s flow at low temperatures.
- Never underestimate great capability from cheap engine oils, which may lead to burning engine. Less expensive oils actually do well as the more expensive ones.
- Don’t just buy the product from any store, but from reputable retailers. This needs to be avoided due to the rampage of product counterfeiting on the market these days.
- Do not neglect the relevance of the motor oil’s wear protection, traction force, thermal stability, and low oil temperature capability.
- Car owners are well aware of the significant role of engine oils in increasing the longevity of car engines. The manufacturers of these oils, on the other hand, are using scientific breakthroughs for the custom formulas. They now have the capability to provide unmatched lubrication protection even under intense engine operating conditions. Meanwhile, searching for the best motor oil with the highest possible quality is not really as easy as what you might think it is. This does not mean that you just pick any without knowing what really it is. Select one that has been well-rated by the other users and that it should be manufactured by a trusted engine oil brand. Don’t just guess, learn and investigate each of the best engine oil brand presented above. Keep in mind all the buying tips in the motor oil reviews above and you will surely make your own choice without any regret.