Quick Navi -
- Best Octane Boosters for 2018 (Top 5 Picks)
- Octane Booster Reviews (All 7 We Thoroughly Reviewed)
- 1. Torco Accelerator – The BEST Octane Booster TO Buy Right Now (Editor’s Choice)
- 2. Royal Purple Max-Boost Octane Booster and Stabilizer
- 3. Klotz Octane Booster
- 4. RACE-GAS Race Fuel Concentrate 100 to 105
- 5. Gold Eagle 104+ Octane Boost
- 6. BOOSTane Professional Octane Booster
- 7. Lucas 10026 Octane Boost
- Important Tips to Make a Good Decision When Buying the Best Octane Booster
UPDATED for 2018: In this buyer’s guide, we will cover the best octane boosters you can buy for your vehicles engine and fuel system. As you know, getting a vehicle is pretty easy – but maintaining it can be a daunting experience. Engine repairs and not getting the full potential of the vehicle can be a great disappointment for owners. One of the most common mistakes of why these problems happen is that most owners do not really know how to take good care of their engines. Engines, if you are not a mechanic, can be a tiring topic to discuss with.
However, if you wanted your vehicle to last long, you need to know how it works and what it needs. Perhaps one of the most common issues with it is engine knocking, which is caused by not knowing the required octane rating. Is that really important? Well, yes it is! Find out more info below.
So, what’s octane? It is a very flammable and volatile chemical compound that is found in gasoline. It contains eight hydrocarbon chains that help produce a smooth combustion process flow of the engine. In chemistry, it’s CH3 (CH2)6CH3, which is really quite scientific and mind-boggling, I know! So let’s cut to the chase, this chemical element can improve the acceleration of the engine.
A vehicle’s octane rating is usually dependent on the engine’s compression ratio, spark timing, and temperature. There are also others who claim that it is also dependent on the driving method. This eight hydrocarbon chain is a very useful additive to a gasoline as it helps in improving efficiency, power output and reliability of the engine. In most cases, fast running vehicles require higher rating while smaller engines, obviously, needs lesser.
Best Octane Boosters for 2018 (Top 5 Picks)
|Octane Booster Name:||Quantity:||Boost Up To:|
|Torco Accelerator |
| || ||
|Royal Purple Max-Boost|| || ||
|Klotz|| || ||
|RACE-GAS Race|| || ||
|Gold Eagle 104+|| || ||
NOTE: On the side note of octane boosters, something just as important is fuel injector cleaners. When you use the right ones, you can experience a noticeable difference in your vehicles engine performance. And on top of that, you’ll even be able to notice better fuel economy. Also, something that goes hand-in-hand is good quality spark plugs.
There are also boosting agents to further improve the capacity of octane when mixed with the fuel. Hence, it’s important for vehicle owners to know how to boost this element to maximize the performance of the engine. But how? The perfect answer is to get the best octane booster that’s available these days!
What are these boosters? These elements prevent engine knocking that can result to abnormal combustion of the engine, eventually destroying the cylinder wall and the piston. It is therefore wise to read and analyze the best octane booster review prior to buying them. Below are 7 of the best octane boosters that we hope will help you find the Best octane booster on the market that suits the needs of your vehicle’s engine.
Octane Booster Reviews (All 7 We Thoroughly Reviewed)
1. Torco Accelerator – The BEST Octane Booster TO Buy Right Now (Editor’s Choice)
The Torco Accelerator is marketed as a race fuel concentrate and is considered to be the best fuel octane booster. While it lives up to its promise, this one is also perfectly good with utility vehicles or UTV. Torco mainly uses MMT (methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl) on this product. This booster helps decrease the end burn temperature of the engine, thus, releasing more power. Torco Accelerator is one of the most trusted manufacturers when it comes to this type of product.
- Works well with 4 wheelers, dirt bike, utility task vehicles (UTV) like lawn mowers
- Has the ability to increase rating up to 105
- Customizable blend to fit the engine’s needs
- Best octane booster for ATVs
- It may leave rusty residue (that turns color brown or orange) on the pistons and spark plugs
2. Royal Purple Max-Boost Octane Booster and Stabilizer
Royal Purple Max-Boost
The Royal Purple 11757 Max Octane Booster and Stabilizer is a racing formula that increases the octane rating up to 30 points. It protects non-hardened valve seats by replacing lead additives. This booster is formulated with MMT and is safe when mixed with leaded and unleaded gasoline. This item also has an anti-wear additive as it contains a high level of phosphorous. The booster is safe when mixed with both leaded and unleaded gasoline and reduces emission & improve engine performance.
- performs well with catalytic converters and oxygen sensors
- stabilizes fuel while increasing rating
- reduces engine noise
- cheaper than other octane boosters
- Not good with 2-stroke engines
- Fouls spark plugs due to MMT
- the spout is a little short to fit in the gas tank opening, which might destroy the vehicle’s paint
3. Klotz Octane Booster
The 128-ounce gallon octane booster from Klotz contains a chemical ingredient that controls burn speed and stabilizes flame front. The product contains Tetraethyl lead substitute that adds up to the lubrication of the car engine. This octane booster is perfect for gasoline or ethanol-enriched fuels. Many of those who have already used the product notice the rise of the octane rating of their engine. They even find it the best booster for trucks, thanks to its safe oxygen sensor and catalytic converter.
- Increases octane rating up to 10 numbers
- Added with Klotz oil for lubrication, which protects internal engine parts
- Safe with catalytic converter and oxygen sensor
- Perhaps one of the best octane booster for trucks
- Might not work with latest model cars
- A little bit pricey as compared to other boosting products
4. RACE-GAS Race Fuel Concentrate 100 to 105
The Race Gas Race Fuel concentrate has the ability to increase octane rating up to 100 to 105. This booster doesn’t contain alcohol which makes it very safe to use for your car engine. One of the best factors why the product is ideal is its capability to increase the chemical oxygen and energy of pump gas. Consider some reviews of most car owners who mentioned that this RACE-GAS product is the best octane booster for all types of cars.
- Works well with catalytic converters and oxygen sensors
- Good for two-stroke and E85 engines
- Can be used with snowmobile, tractors, and boats
- Ideal for modern cars
- Spills can destroy car paint
- Might require frequent change as clogs can build up easily
NOTE: While reading this review, you may also like to read our oil filter reviews, motor oil reviews, and oil drain pan reviews. This may sound random, but if this is something you do at home, having a good product goes a long way. Just like using the best antifreeze solvent will help you keep your engine cool, resulting in better efficiency.
5. Gold Eagle 104+ Octane Boost
The 104+ 10406 Octane Boost is specifically designed to help improve the acceleration and gas mileage of cars. As a pioneer in the industry, Gold Eagle Co.’s octane booster product works pretty well with older car models, particularly 70s and 80s model of BMW. Based on its product description, it doesn’t provide an expiration date. Among the benefits you can get from this booster brand include its thorough fuel injector cleanup, safe catalytic converter, and oxygen sensor usage, and its cost-effectiveness.
- Cleans fuel injectors
- Safe to use with oxygen sensors and catalytic converters
- Also works well with lower price gasoline
- Fairly cheaper than other boosters
- Intended for road use only
- Might cause problem with boat engines
- Not totally effective as compared to MMT-based boosters
6. BOOSTane Professional Octane Booster
The BOOStane Professional Quart Bottle Octane Booster has the capability of raising the octane rating up to 116. It provides higher compression and improves performance. It prides itself for the only product that offers proven result from a third party independent testing. When compared with other products, most octane booster reviews on BOOSTane product would say that it is working well with lawn mowers. Many have already trusted its effectiveness considering it’s being a SEMA Yen Product of the Year recipient.
- Can provide ethanol protection to the engine
- Recipient of the SEMA Yen Product Of The Year award
- Works well with lawn mower
- Smartphone app not helpful in giving calculations
- not the best octane booster for motorcycles
7. Lucas 10026 Octane Boost
The Lucas 10026 Octane booster is a product that proves safety when used with catalytic converters, turbos, and oxygen sensors. This booster brand guarantees less emission so as not to be harmful to the environment. It is being offered in the market at a lower rate compared to the other boosters. Moreover, it is also good for carbureted and fuel injected engines. Portability wise but the majority of motorists explained that this octane booster isn’t as effective as its competitor in the market.
- Fewer emission and promotes clean fuel burn
- Fairly cheap under the best octane booster bandwagon
- Safe to use with turbos, oxygen sensors, and catalytic converters
- Restricted for sale at Catalina Island (located somewhere in California)
- This is obviously not the best octane booster for lawn mowers
- The efficacy level is not that high compared to others
- Might produce rusty brown clog ups as it uses MMT.
Important Tips to Make a Good Decision When Buying the Best Octane Booster
With the boosters listed above, do you think you are now ready to pick the best one? Not quite because there are still factors you need to consider first.
- Learn how to use octane booster. Octane boosters are chemicals that are added to the fuels. They are undeniably effective. However, there’s a great need to know the proper usage and most importantly, proper calculations, when working with products like this. Should you have a DIY project on this or should you ask a local mechanic to do the thing for you? Whatever it is, it is always important to be aware of these guidelines too because not all times local mechanics are around.
- Determine the octane requirement of your car’s engine. Most octane ratings are provided on the engine pump. Please check product manual to avoid serious engine damage. Common ratings range from 87 – 94. Please do remember that luxury cars, sports cars or any race cars always require higher rating compared to ordinary vehicles, even UTV. Sports cars may require an octane rating of 90 up while lawn mowers only need around 80. Some can increase up to 3 numbers while others are only capable to 2. Even if you have the best octane booster for cars in the industry today, if it doesn’t meet the required rating of your engine, it’s really useless. So, how do you calculate the volume of the booster to add to a gallon of gasoline? It’s dependent on the above-mentioned method. For example, when you add the 32 oz. Torco’s Accelerator to a 20 gallon of gasoline, the rating will increase to 93 to 97. Hence, the increment would just be around 3 to 4. Again, check with the capability of the stimulant and the active ingredient on the booster. It is also wise to take note that premium gasoline already has higher octane level, so you may want to be mindful of using too much booster.
- Learn about the active Ingredient MTT. Most octane boosters are composed primarily of MTT or Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl. MTT is said to be the best octane booster additive, not to mention, the most popular one. MTT-based boosting products are most effective than another additive. However, please do take note that these chemicals may result to rusty build up in the gas tank. MTT is proven to boost octane rating and efficacy. Other additives include ferrocene, ethanol, and aromatic alcohol. If you are buying MTT-based octane booster (which most of the products are in today’s market), always check the gas tank frequently. Yes, clogs might build up due to chemical’s property. Always protect car paint when pouring octane boosters on the gas tank. These products contain harmful chemicals that can damage the paint. I don’t think you would love dents and aesthetic damage to your precious vehicles.
- Know the exact type of gasoline your car requires. Not all best octane boosters can work well with all type of gasoline. Always remember if it supports premium or low-cost gas. Also, make sure to double check if it doesn’t have any negative effect when added to leaded or unleaded gasoline. Remember, fuel type should depend on the engine requirement. Check with your local mechanic if you have doubts. Most common ratings in the U.S. are 87 for regular unleaded gasoline, 88-90 for midgrade, and for premium gas, it is usually around 91-94. These products won’t work properly with diesel. That is why; you need to be very careful when it comes to reading octane booster reviews online.
- Assess whether those with lubrication feature perform better. Having a lubrication feature is always better to protect internal engine parts in the long run. Fret not; most of the best octane boosters have lubricants on it.
- Never take the precautions of each best octane booster lightly for safety. Check how to properly store the booster. Most of these products are highly combustible so it is best to stay them away from the reach of children. Obviously, it shouldn’t be placed under the heat of the sun.
- Neglecting to take time to review and test your preferred boosters as much as possible is not a good practice. Always read octane booster reviews in forums or blogs or perhaps watch YouTube demonstrations prior to buying any product. By this, you can be confident enough that your engine is only treated with the best octane booster.
- Don’t underestimate the less expensive boosters. Not all cheap products provide cheap results. In addition to that, expensive products do not really mean yielding good effects. These products can also be bought online. Amazon has lots of brands and variety of these on their website. Of course, there are also brick and mortars who sell these, mostly gas stations or car mechanic shops. Online stores might sell them for a cheaper price but will ask for shipping fee. This type of product can require additional protection during transport as it is combustible.
- Hopefully, you were able to get useful information on this best octane booster review. There are literally tons of products you can use in the market these days. We hope this list helps you lessen the hassle in the getting the best octane booster that fits the needs of your engine and budget. In addition to that, the guidelines and tips are mostly general. For more specific tips and calculations of the addition of the octane booster, always refer to the product manual. If you think it is still not enough, contact customer support of the manufacturer.